Healthy eating for January
As a lot of us (including me) are looking to battle the post-Christmas bulge, I thought my first recipe of 2014 would be a veggie packed, healthy, nutritious and tasty chicken and avocado salad. I had the perfect plan back in December, simple, cut out chocolate, cake and dessert before Christmas. I thought if I lost a bit of weight in December then by January, after the Christmas and New Year gluttony, I would end up at the same weight. Well that didn’t work out (no matter how much I worked out!). So here I am in the usual January position of needing to lose, admittedly just a little, weight.
I am not one of those people who will go on a crazy diet, just eating Special K or drinking a crazy concoction but I thought a few more veg and a few less choc’s is not such a bad thing. Don’t worry I am sure normal service will be resumed and I’ll be back to cakes baking and richer winter warmer recipes but just for now lets look at something healthy. I love any avocado recipe (like guacamole) and thing the avocado dressing on this salad in a real winner!
For this recipe I have added a PDF which you can either download or print to keep. Let me know if you like this and have any other suggestions for improving Russell’s Kitchen
Chicken and Avocado Salad, Serves 2
Download or print the PDF Chicken and Avocado Salad
1 small gem lettuce, shredded
1 bag mixed winter leaf salad
4 brussels sprouts
½ punnet baby tomatoes (aprox 100g), cut in half
1 green (bell) pepper, finely sliced
2 inch piece of cucumber, finely sliced
1 pack (250g) salt and pepper breaded chicken goujons
2 small/ 1 large avocado (for that healthy avocado fat and oil)
2 cloves of garlic
Handful of flat leaf parsley
Handful of Basil leafs
Store cupboard ingredients
Olive oil for dressing 100-200ml
- Preheat your oven and cook the chicken according to the pack instructions – usually around 18-20 minutes
- Wash the salad ingredients and then prepare as directed above. Place in a serving bowl, I like to mix it all up.
- Prepare the dressing by scooping the flesh out of the avocado, dice it and pop in a blender. Add the garlic, parsley and basil and pulse whilst adding the olive oil till you reach your desired consistency. More oil will give a thinner dressing.
- Toss the salad in the avocado dressing and when ready take the chicken from the oven and slice the goujons into long thin strips.
- Finally top the salad with the chicken and serve with a little pink himalayan salt.
Recipe, text and photos By Russell Bowes