30 Minute Meals Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
30 minute meals. Today I’m cooking up another quick simple and cheap pasta recipe, cheesy butternut squash pasta. I did intend to make this with butternut squash but my supermarket didn’t have any in so I substituted it with sweet potatoes.
It looks like this is turning into a week of pasta recipes here as we follow on from The Real Italian Carbonara we’ve got another great creamy pasta recipe and just like yesterday there’s not a drop of actual cream in sight!
Continuing my recent theme of cooking new and interesting recipes and Hana has been looking up lots of different recipes on BuzzFeed and other sites which we can cook over the next few weeks. The first we decided to have was this really gorgeously creamy cheesy butternut squash pasta as Hana was feeling under the weather and when you’re feeling down there’s nothing like a big bowl of pasta to help you feel better.
It looks like there are quite a few recipes like this one out there but unlike the Carbonara I cooked earlier in the week, we haven’t tried this one before so it is totally new. I did wonder a little bit about making a sauce from the butternut squash (or in my case sweet potato) but it did really work out well.
The boiled then blended sweet potato flesh becomes really, really creamy once you combine it with the vegetable stock, butter, milk and cheese. When I first looked at the ingredients and recipe I did picture the final dish looking like a strange marriage of mashed potatoes and macaroni. Don’t worry. It really doesn’t come out that way. Because you pulse the squash or sweet potatoes with a blender you get a rich and creamy sauce.
As you are doubling up on the carb sources (butternut squash/ sweet potato & pasta) you don’t need as much of either as you might think. So if you’re looking at the amounts and worrying it won’t be enough for two, don’t worry it will be more than enough.
This is also a good 30 minute meal which is easy to prepare after work on a weekday evening. Bonus points for it also being a one pot dish. Less washing up always has to be good!
You can easily adapt this to be either vegetarian or vegan friendly by using vegetarian or vegan approved butter, milk and cheese.
30 Minute Meals cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 and ½ cups dried macaroni
- 1 large butternut squash or 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup vegetable stock*
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 and ¼ cup cheese, I used a mix of Old Amsterdam and extra mature cheddar.
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Optional: I served my portion with a peppered mackerel fillet for extra protein.
* I’m really into using stock pots at the moment in recipes. I think they give a deeper flavour that the dried cubes. They also taste much less salty.
- Prepare the butternut squash or sweet potatoes as directed. Once chopped into 1 inch cubes for faster cooking. Pop on to boil for around 10 minutes or till soft. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, leaving a little al dente as it will cook a little more when you add the sauce to it later.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking add the butter, butternut squash ( or sweet potato), milk, vegetable stock and cheese to a blender along with some black pepper and the paprika. Pulse till you have a smooth sauce.
- When the macaroni is cooked drain then return to the pan and put it on a low heat. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir to coat all the pasta with the sauce.
- Gently heat to make sure the sauce is warmed through.
- Add more black pepper or paprika to taste then